22 July 2011

Bad Habits

Nothing like a driving lesson to make you feel 16 again. The feeling that you know everything only to find out you don't, but if you act cool maybe no one will figure it out.

Roundabouts? Pfft. I've done those. Here, though, everyone mostly knows and follows the rules. According to my instructor, I should trust that the drivers waiting to enter the roundabout won't dash in front of me and the people in the "straight ahead only" lane won't turn right. Please. I spent the last 15 years driving in Massachusetts. I trust no one.

Mistrust isn't the only habit I have to break. I now have to: check my mirrors before I signal; never, ever steer hand over hand; and give way more than I stop.

To get my driving licence I also need to learn about zebra crossings, pelican crossings, toucan crossings, and puffin crossings. It's important to note that these are for pedestrians, not animals. There are also equestrian crossings which actually are for animals, albeit those being ridden by people.

I can drive for 12 months on my Mass.licence. In that time, I'll take a theory test and a road test. Then I'll probably forget everything I've learned and develop new bad habits.

It's nice to have goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Rules
1) Be nice.
2) Keep it clean.