10 August 2011

Some of London Is Burning

Thanks to all of our stateside friends who have inquired about our well-being in light of the riots in the UK. We are about 30 miles out of London, in the country, and so haven't seen any of it.

I was thinking it's probably a good thing I haven't found that perfect job in London yet. Then again, this morning I was speaking with a friend who works in London and she has gone into work every day this week without a problem. Yesterday they were told to leave early, and that's when she got angry. Not so much for herself as for all of the people whose lives have been disrupted and livelihoods ruined.

I haven't been here very long, and so I won't start delivering my opinion based on my five weeks of being a permanent resident temporarily living in a West Sussex hamlet. Maybe when we move closer to London at the end of the month, I'll start to be able to form an articulate sentence about the culture.

I will offer one piece of advice to my American friends and family: Don't read only the US press. Don't follow only Fox, or only Salon, or only anything. Here are some links to UK news sites:

www.bbc.co.uk/news
http://www.guardian.co.uk/
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Rules
1) Be nice.
2) Keep it clean.