05 April 2013

That Was a Day, My Friend

Yesterday I had one of THOSE days, though with a happy ending. I had a job interview in London, for a job based a bit closer to home.

When I go to London, I have a choice of stations -- Victoria or Waterloo. I go to Victoria.

[Hindsight: Should have gone to Waterloo.]

I arrive at Victoria at about 11:30, plenty of time for a leisurely lunch before my one o'clock  interview. I debate with myself: do I use the pay toilet at the station, or wait until I get to a cafe?

Now wins, so I pay 30p to pee.

[Hindsight: Excellent choice.]

I head toward the tube, and realise that the headache I hoped would go away, isn't. I detour into Boots and buy fast-acting ibuprofen and a small water bottle. I take the ibuprofen and stash it and the water in my shoulder bag. (This is an important detail.)

I descend the escalator to the District and Circle line, and see that it is seething with people, and hear an announcement about delays. No problem, I think. I'll just walk part of the way, and stop at a Pret A Manger.

I leave the station and find out immediately why all the tourists are taking the tube. It's cold. And windy. And snowy. And cold. Again, no problem. I'm a New Englander, I'll walk part of the way and get some lunch before I hop on the tube.

I take a left out of the station.

[Hindsight: Should have taken a right.]

I walked past Buckingham Palace, wending my way through the tourists shivering for the sake of the changing of the guard. I feel bad for them. They probably booked their vacation for the week after Easter because they thought the weather would be normal. As in a sunny spring day with a cool breeze.

I walk past St James's Park, along the Birdcage Walk. It's becoming clear to me that I won't get any lunch unless I deviate from my route. But time is getting short, so I don't think I can.

Did I mention it was cold?

I descend into Westminster tube station and see that I can walk underground to Victoria Embankment. Excellent, I think, my interview is on Victoria Embankment. Maybe there will be food.

[Hindsight: Should have gotten on a train at Westminster.]

Above ground, it's still snowing. And Victoria Embankment is lined with government buildings, so there is no food. The wind off the river is strong.  I am cold, time is short, and I have no idea how far I am from my interview. I pull out my map, and a woman asks me to take a picture of her and her husband with the London Eye in the background. What I want to say: "OHMIGOD I HAVE NO TIME! I HAVE A JOB INTERVIEW!" What I do say: "Sure." I take three pictures. Just to make sure it comes out nice.


Finally, I am approaching a tube station. I duck under an overpass to pull out a tissue to dab my eyes, which run constantly when it's even just a little bit cold. It's also a good chance to check my mascara, take a sip of water, and pull out my phone to check my email.

[Hindsight: Should have made sure the water bottle was tightly sealed.]

Half of the water is gone. Thank goodness my tissues absorbed so much of it. Only the remainder leaked on the little notebook I use to take notes during interviews, and on my sample book. Just a little bit remained to pool at the bottom of my bag.
Blackfriars station

I am just about out of time for getting to my interview. It's about 12:15, and I don't have time for lunch. At the station, I buy a granola bar and get on the train. I arrive at Blackfriars station (which is brand-new and very nice, and the toilets are free) with 20 minutes to spare before my interview.

No disasters after that. Well, except for the interview. That didn't go well at all.

I went to Waterloo station, bought a sandwich and was on the 2:20 train home.

But I promised a happy ending: When I got home, I had a voice mail from a recruiter with a job offer. I start Wednesday.

Zoom out on the map to see the route.





No comments:

Post a Comment

The Rules
1) Be nice.
2) Keep it clean.